Monday, January 5, 2009

Birthday Preparations

It is very un-like me to do something like this, but I went off the deep end and decided to make a Lightning McQueen cake for A's birthday party tonight. His birthday is tomorrow, but his best buddy couldn't make it tomorrow, so we're celebrating a day early. He is very much into the Cars movie lately. He quotes it, has all the cars, wants to wear his Lightning McQueen shirt daily...you get the point. Maybe I was feeling bad for not letting him have the big party he wanted (He said he wanted EVERYONE to come to his party. I said he could pick one friend - I don't do big parties) and that's why I decided to do this, I don't know. Anyway, after days of research, two trips to the grocery store, and all morning in the kitchen, this is how it turned out. Not too bad, if I do say so myself.T was very impressed. He does not have high expectations of me where there is any bit of art concerned (I'm ok with that). Instead of McQueen's number '95', I put a 4 on top, since A will be 4. And instead of 'Rusteze" on the hood, I put his name. (The secret is out, his name is not really Art). I ran out of black writing stuff, so there are no doors or detaling on the back, and the tires are only outlines. I was not going to make a third trip to the store.Now you're going to think I'm really crazy. The SAME day, I also made this cupcake caterpillar for A's class tomorrow. They'll have a celebration for him at school . There are only 8 kids in his class, thus, the eight cupcakes. This one was much easier than the car. And now that I look at it on the computer, the red eyes seem kinda creepy. I think I'll change them to green or something.There were supposed to be spice drops at the end of the legs for feet, but the licorice didn't support them well enough. (The preschoolers will never know!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did an amazing job Fran, better that I would have done. Wish we could have been there. Hugs and Kisses from the Millers.

All my Love,
Emily

Stacy Kaye said...

I think they both look fantastic!

Suzie Egge said...

Nice Work!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you will soon be competition for all the bakers in the area!! Great car, and loved the caterpillar!! Pat (Rubrake) Heinbaugh

Anonymous said...

Hi Frannie,
Found this link through Becca's blog. Loved catching up on your beautiful family. Looks as though life is good there with you all.
Kathy Slater

Eva said...

Sweet. I bet he loved it. Do you think you could do a Thomas engine cake for Noah's birthday??? He would really LOVE that. Thanks =).

jewelry girl said...

martha, you've out-done yourself!